A New Set of Wheels


April 28, 2012. Today was the long awaited day: The NDSU-UND Newman Center Bike Race & Ride. I had mentioned in my last post that I planned to participate in the 40-mile adventure. I knew Jesus wanted me to do it, that He wanted to use me to show all of you what He can do. He was so sure, but I wasn’t; I was absolutely terrified! Over the past few weeks, I “knew” I really needed to trust in God and He would take care of everything and the ride would be just great. But I didn’t really know that. This is what I was being convinced of: “My bones will start throbbing and eventually shatter and I will collapse into a blob on the ground.” Well maybe my thoughts weren’t quite so ridiculous, but that was the gist. I had no idea how my body would handle having a bike seat jabbed directly under my previously broken bones for however long it took me to bike 40 miles. And I didn’t know how I would respond to whatever did happen. Due to my patterns of stubbornness and determination, I have a history of pushing myself too far. This caused me to worry that I would not have enough self-control to stop if it came to the point where my body was just getting destroyed. I was also worried that, if I found I wasn’t able to do it, I would become an emotional wreck. I’ve had to face my post-crash physical failures time and time again and I just wasn’t looking forward to another one. Ironically, in trying to avoid becoming an emotional wreck, I did become one. Over these past few weeks, I panicked and made myself cry so many times; it was ridiculous. But I was scared!

And then this morning finally came. I tried sitting on my bike and I felt a little shot of pain instantly. This freaked me out and all of my worries came crashing down on me. I didn’t get by without crying once more before the Race & Ride began; shoot. But I knew what Jesus wanted, so I knew I needed to try my best. We started the ride and I hung out with some friends towards the back. All of the people actually racing were up front so they didn’t have to knock us all over when they took off. I could feel the seat, but things were going fairly well. After a while, I realized that I needed to go faster. I took off and it was just Jesus and I riding down that highway. Well, Mama Mary came, also. We had a good time, but there were moments where I was getting really worried. There were points where I wondered if I could make it even four wheel cycles farther. But I kept going, knowing that I could. There were three pit stops along the way, but I didn’t stop at any of them. I figured that if I got off of my bike, I wouldn’t be able to get back on.

After quite some time, I found myself in the town of Hillsboro, ND. Embarrassingly, I missed the bright orange sign that said, “BIKES à,” and rode right past it. Luckily, I saw that all of the people behind me turned and so I turned around. Obviously I just really wanted to spend one more minute on that bike. Once I got to the proper destination, it felt so great to step off of that bike, realizing the miracle that had just taken place within my life. That girl who was in a wheelchair rode a bike for 40 miles straight; talk about a new set of wheels! I was so pumped and I walked, with a slight limp, into the building to get my lunch. Jesus is the best. I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of living through miracles. ;)

I traded in these wheels....

..for these wheels!! =D

Comments

Popular Posts