Light in the Dark


Shoot. Sometimes a light shines in through the window during Adoration and the verse you are reading becomes a lot more powerful…

Our world was created for our benefit. We were created to be in a Loving Relationship with Our Heavenly Father. But we aren’t. No. We are living in darkness. Our world does not love Jesus. And we blame Adam and Eve for The Fall. Any of our mistakes are their fault, right? They screwed up first. We’re just human and Jesus will love us anyways. Do we actually think about some of these thoughts that come so naturally? We are full of excuses, but why? Everyone is fighting to be the best, but how many are striving to please the Lord instead of their own selves? How many are striving to look good in the eyes of God, rather than the jealous eyes of their enemies, coworkers, or peers? What are we fighting for? How can we tell in this dark world?

And it is not Adam and Eve’s fault. Jesus Christ died on the cross to repair our relationship with His, and our, Heavenly Father. Jesus did it for us, because He loves us. But are we loving Him back? Are we accepting this ultimate sacrifice He made for us? No; we are choosing to live in darkness. Are we loving Jesus when we yell at our parents? Are we loving Jesus when we end human life, in the womb, on the street, or in the hospital? Or when we choose to do anything but give God even ONE hour of our 168 hour week?

Yes, we are human. Yes, we all make mistakes. But, are we even trying? Let’s get rid of the darkness in our world. Let’s be that change. Darkness is just an absence of light, so let’s be that light. If you happened to go backwards from today’s first reading (2 Corinthians 4:7-15), you may have seen this line quoted from God:

“Let light shine out of darkness” – 2 Cor. 4:6
{Yes, this was the verse I was reading and enjoying as the sun shone through the window at the end of my pew in the fairly darkened chapel. I thought it was cool.}


We are all called to be the light that is found in Christ Jesus. Do not assume it is someone else who is called; YOU have been called. Yes, we endure things that are unpleasant, but that does not exempt us from the calling. At some point after the crash, I was made aware that God was calling me to something. But I didn’t bother to ask him what it was; I wasn’t up for it. I figured that I had lost everything I was familiar with, that I didn’t even know who I was, and that I wouldn’t do a good job anyways.

Over time, I learned that what I lost [physical abilities, etc.] was nothing in comparison to what I would gain [a relationship with Jesus Christ, My Lord and Savior]. I learned that “not knowing who I was” wasn’t a result of the crash, but of losing what my identity was mistakenly placed in [activities; not Christ]. I learned that it is not my own work, that it is God’s work, and that He does do a good job.

With this new knowledge, I have taken steps, little by little, to grow closer to Christ and follow His Will, to be a light in the darkness. This journey has led me to FOCUS – the Fellowship of Catholic University Students, of which I will be a full-time missionary beginning in January (after college graduation in December). This is how God is calling me to serve, but if I didn’t start following Him in the small things, I never would have believed that I would be a missionary on college campuses. In fact, just within the past couple years, I specifically remember having told someone, “Pah! No; I would never be a missionary with FOCUS! It’s just not my thing; I’m terrible at that kind of stuff.” My skills aside, God can work wonders in people’s lives. And that’s why I’m a FOCUS missionary. YOUR skills aside, God can work wonders in people’s lives. How is He calling YOU to serve?

He doesn’t force us to love Him. It is our choice to choose Him. When we choose Him, He can work through us in ways we never thought possible. And I’m not saying that makes it all easy, just worth it. If you go even farther back in 2 Corinthians, it says this:

“Therefore, since it is by God’s mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart.” – 2 Cor. 4:1

When we are working for God, we have a purpose. He is Who we should be fighting for, not our own comforts and pleasures. Also, read 2 Corinthians; Saint Paul is baller.

Comments

  1. Wow, I have goosebumps, Mikayla. Thank you so much for being vulnerable in this post and sharing directly from your heart. You're right, I do make excuses a lot and blame Adam and Eve for the fall...wow, thank you so much for this. I will definitely be taking it to prayer! Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts