SOCCER!

Tonight was our first intramural soccer game. Wow! What a great feeling! It blows my mind that there was a time I wondered if I would ever walk again! I do remember those days, though…

I Remember
I remember waking up and being told I couldn’t walk. I remember sitting around the house, hating that I couldn’t get up and do anything. I remember strongly desiring to even be able to do the dishes. I remember when I mastered the art of wheeling around the kitchen to get a paper plate and a pop-tart for breakfast. I remember being in a department store and a lady being frustrated with my taking up the aisle. I remember getting a moment alone in my room and attempting to get up and walk. I remember not being able to move at all when I tried. I remember feeling so discouraged, but not enough to give up. I remember being determined to be able to walk again someday. I remember going into the doctor to find out if there was a chance. I remember them telling me my doctor was out of the country and I’d have to come back in a week or so. I remember sitting there in my wheelchair, feeling so helpless. I remember that moment I’d been waiting for, for so long, get snatched away from me. I remember trying to accept the fact that I might never walk again. I remember my parents talking to the lady at the desk, trying to get me in. I remember the lady working something out and letting me see a different doctor. I remember that moment the doctor gave me permission to use a walker. I remember going home and pushing the walker along with me all the way down the hallway. I remember the joy I felt. I remember still wondering if there would be a day I could walk on my own. I remember when that day came. I remember wanting to do more. I remember not being able to. I remember not giving up. I remember making accomplishments. I remember when I first ran. I remember when I first jumped. I remember when I first did the splits. I remember when I first kicked. I remember when I hiked a mountain up and down. I remember when I danced. I remember when I cheered. I remember when I played volleyball. I remember when I played soccer. I remember that I’m not done yet.

2006: Team Benelux

2007: Wheelchair

Living the Miracle

Comments

Popular Posts