Adventures of Trust

Two years ago I heard about a vocational discernment pilgrimage to Italy. Of course I wanted to go; I’m a sucker for adventures and why would I not want to spend some time in Europe with other young adult Catholics seeking to follow God’s will?! I had no intention to actually go, though. I had already been there, I felt pretty confident about my vocational discernment status, and I didn’t know the people I would be joining; it just didn’t really make sense for me to go. I also feared that people would view me as extravagant, which broke my poor Franciscan heart. To be honest, the only reason I even considered the trip was because I saw that the couple leading it was from Kansas City and I had recently felt stalked by the city (I know, I know…whatever works, right?).

Regardless of my reasoning and the anticipated reactions I imagined, I just knew that I had to go. I had no inclination as to why, but I sensed that “something big” was in store for that trip. And everything just lined up. The timing. The funds. The pope! An accidental overnight in none other than Kansas City. Everything. I practically tried to create obstacles because I was afraid it was silly, but nothing was stopping me. So I went. I met some amazing people and saw some amazing places. To my delight and surprise, my back was miraculously healed. Could not have planned that better!
the group after hiking to the hermitage of Saint Francis of Assisi (day after healing!)
I learned so much through that pilgrimage and was strengthened so much in my faith. The whole experience was such a powerful conviction of trust. The promptings on my heart were valid, not just something I made up in my head. I did follow the conviction that God wanted me on that trip, but I could have followed my personal feelings about it being ridiculous and not went. I would not have known what I missed, God would have brought great things about regardless, but WHAT AN AMAZING THING I WOULD HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED! I am so grateful that I trusted God instead of myself!

Since then, I have been going through a similar discernment process. In the fall of 2013, I was asked to think about directing a mission trip in India. For several years I had wanted to do mission in India (and even almost did during the summer of 2012). I would still love to make it there someday, but when praying about it, I unexpectedly became very convicted about doing a pilgrimage to Europe instead, particularly to France and Spain. In a month-and-a-half, this distant thought is becoming a reality. I have not been very open about my travel plans, again because I fear the perception of extravagance (including from myself). But, to be open now, I AM SO EXCITED! And I do believe that I am supposed to go! I have no idea what is going to happen, but I do expect it to change my life. The plans for this trip have evolved quite a bit over the past year-and-a-half and I am amazed by how it became pieced together through different circumstances. I just have to share! It will be a beautiful trip of Thanksgiving!

Part One: Saint Bernadette of Lourdes
Saint Bernadette and Our Lady of Lourdes
with Alli and Celisa (EMU students)
At the start of July, Celisa and I will fly out of Detroit into Frankfurt, Germany. There we will meet Alli, who is currently abroad to study (check out her travel blog here). After spending our first night in Germany, we are heading to France for a week, making pilgrimage to Nevers, Rocamadour, and Lourdes. Saint Bernadette has always been special to me. I remember watching the animated movie about her as a child and admiring her courage to share her experience with others. Knowing myself too well, I would pray to not see visions of the Blessed Mother because I feared I would be too embarrassed to tell anyone and that would defeat the purpose. Several years later, during the summer of 2012, she re-entered my life in a big way. When I was told I was supposed to be open to healing, I turned to Saint Bernadette. For about nine months, through her intercession, I prayed every day (more or less) to be open to healing. I still pray for her intercession for complete healing of my body, mind, and spirit, as well as to be an instrument of healing for others. I am very much looking forward to visiting her and where she is from, and especially to witness an abundance of healing in others making pilgrimage to Lourdes.

Part Two: Saint Ignatius of Loyola
Saint Ignatius of Loyola
After our time in France, we are headed across the border to Spain for a week, making pilgrimage to Loyola, Pamplona, Montserrat, and Barcelona. I do not think it possible to even express how much joy I have to visit these places. Saint Ignatius is so dear to my heart and so instrumental in my life. God has used him in so many ways to bring me closer to Himself. Prayer, discernment, trust, adventures, healing, dignity, so many things! (The healing of my back in Rome actually took place in the room Ignatius died in!) I am overwhelmingly grateful for this experience! (Seriously, no words.)



Part Three: El Camino de Santiago (The Way of Saint James)
Astorga to Santiago..and then on to the coast!
In the middle of July, Alli and Celisa will fly back to Michigan and I will travel to Madrid to meet Danielle and others for a Creatio pilgrimage. We will be walking (yes, walking) from Astorga to Santiago, where we will visit the tomb of St. James the Apostle. We will then continue on to Finisterre and depart back for America at the last of the month. 225 miles in 2 weeks. This is just a portion of the Camino, as some pilgrims start even several countries away. I first heard about the Camino my sophomore year of college when Emilio Estevez joined us at our regional FOCUS conference in St. Paul and gave us an early showing of his movie, The Way. It sounded amazing and I really wanted to do it. However, at the time, I was still suffering from chronic back pain; carrying a backpack while walking back-to-back-to-back-and-so-on marathons was not on the list of things that were smart to do. But then I was healed! What an excellent way to celebrate!


with Danielle my last week of college
Again, such a beautiful pilgrimage of Thanksgiving for the healing in my back. I have no idea what “big thing” is in store, but I also know that I am incapable of guessing it. It is going to be good, though! Please pray for myself and all those I will be on pilgrimage with, that our lives may truly be transformed and further united with Christ. And allow Jesus to transform your life wherever you are. Surrender it all to Him. Trust Him with your entire life. He does place promptings on your heart. Become familiar with His Voice and follow Him. (Sometimes it’s through things like Kansas City, you just never know!) Don’t make your decisions based solely on how others will perceive you. At the end of your life, what choice would you wish you had made? Trust Him now so that you can make that choice. And, if you have any special intentions, I would love to pray for you and offer up some miles (and blisters!) of the Camino for you! Shoot me an e-mail at mikayla.koble@focus.org!

Comments

Popular Posts