I Can't.

“Mikayla, you can’t walk.” “Mikayla, you won’t play volleyball.” “Mikayla, you can’t jump or kick.”  “Mikayla, don’t run.” “Mikayla, you can’t do the splits or a bridge.” “Mikayla, don’t go on that trip.” “Mikayla, you won’t play soccer.” “Mikayla, you can’t hike the mountain.” “Mikayla, don’t play broomball.” “Mikayla, you can’t do the bike race.” “Mikayla, you’re not able to be a missionary.” “Mikayla, how could you care for your children?” ……etc.

Of course, remarks like these have caused pain in my life. I imagine that most people don’t want to be told what they are not able to do. But as painful as some of these comments may have been, I appreciate those who have said them to me. They weren’t telling me I couldn’t do things because they wanted to rub it in my face; they have just been watching out for my general well-being. “Well meant are the wounds a friend inflicts” --Proverbs 27:6

And these remarks would not have stung so much if I had not seen the truth in them. Under the circumstances, I truly wasn’t able to do these things. But, since then, I have done most of these things. Clearly, I have not done these things through my own ability. With God, all things are possible. If God wants me to do something, He’ll make it possible for me to do it. His timing is not always in line with mine, but His is perfect so I need not complain. Two years after the crash, I had an incredible opportunity to hike a mountain in Italy, but couldn’t. That felt terrible on so many levels and I was afraid when, last spring, we (FOCUS Missions Bronx Team) were going to hike a mountain in New York. It was something I wanted to do so badly, but I didn’t know if I could and those with me didn’t realize I may not have been able to. God carried me up and down that mountain; it was beyond incredible!

Going Up the Mountain!
Up and Down.. Just Feeling So Great :)























God has immensely blessed me on many occasions with the ability to go through with the impossible. He didn’t need to prove any of these above remarks false, but He has. There are still many things in my life that I wonder if I will ever be able to do, but I’m not really concerned. Like I said, if God wants me to do it, then He will make me able. If he doesn’t, then it’s not important and it shouldn’t bother me that I can’t do it. One thing that has been hanging over me these past few years is the NDSU vs. UND Newman Center Bike Race. 40 miles I believe. It has mostly been myself telling me that I can’t do it. I broke the bones I sit on and I go numb when sitting normally; how would I handle sitting on a bike seat for a couple hours? Well, I guess we’ll find out. During this past week I decided that I am going to ride in the bike race. I’ll put forth everything I’ve got to make it past that finish line, but I honestly can’t guarantee how far I will go. Pray for me, please. And the bike race is a fundraiser for the Newman Center, so if you’re interested in supporting me in that way, I’d also greatly appreciate it. ;)

Bridge.
Crash or no crash, probably the weirdest thing that has resulted.


Splits. :)

Comments

Popular Posts