Think About These Things.

Yes, I know. It was seven years and four months ago. It happened. Now it’s over. Right? Some of you remember when it happened. Some of you have heard that it happened. And some of you, probably even some who met me years ago, still do not know what happened (for you guys.. I was in a car crash). Regardless of which category you fall under, you might be wondering why I am still talking about it. To be honest, I felt the same way within about a month of regaining consciousness and have pretty much been asking myself the same questions over and over again since: “Why do you still think about it? Aren’t you EVER going to get over it?”

Sunday painting project.. clearly still thinking about it.
Well, here I am, almost seven-and-a-half years later, still thinking about it like it just happened yesterday. (But not quite in the same way because I was still in a coma the actual day after it happened…but you get the point..) IT IS ALWAYS ON MY MIND! Is that a bad thing? I have always thought that it was, but I don’t believe that to be true.

In Sunday’s second reading, we hear: “Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” –Philippians 4:8

Wait a minute, though. That smashed up car is NOT pleasing to look at. Certainly NOT excellent! So, how is this verse supporting my thinking of the crash? Well, the bent up metal is not where my thoughts dwell. However, it is a necessary image in order to see that which IS commendable and worthy of praise. When I look at the car, I don’t see what was done to it, but rather, what God did through it.

I look at the car and I see the emergency team receive a shock of hope when they ply open my passenger door and see me lying there, unconscious, but ALIVE! I see all the people who gathered together in prayer on my behalf at St. Leo the Great Catholic Church, knowing there was no hope for my survival outside of a miracle of God. I see myself getting permission to walk again without any assistance, showing no visible signs that my life had nearly ended or even been interrupted just two months prior. I see myself going back to school and giving a speech at my high school graduation. I see my despair begin to disappear as I choose to live a life of prayer during college. I see myself hiking a mountain in New York despite my limitations. I see myself find courage in Christ to bike 40 miles with chronic back pain in order to glorify Him. I see myself joyful in the midst of great suffering. I see myself receiving Jesus in the Eucharist and parting with the pain in my back after six years of suffering. I see myself running and playing soccer again after all these years. I see myself hopeful for what the Lord has in store for my life. And I see all of the people who have been touched by my story in some way. I see the Hope that is brought into their lives when they hear about the great Power and Love of God, that He desires to work miracles in their lives, too.

God wants to work miracles in your life! There is nothing too big for Him, but He will not transform your life unless you allow Him to. So, why not let Him? Give Him a chance to show you who He is. Surrender your concerns and ask Him how you can glorify Him this day. Through this you will be fulfilled. He has always Loved you and He always will. It’s about time to start receiving it. Let Him Love you. And ponder these things He does in your life in response to your surrender. They are Good. They are True. They are Beautiful. Think about these things. Be filled with them. Allow your trust in the Lord to be strengthened. Be not discouraged by what appears to be ugly and painful, but rejoice in Him.

Comments

Popular Posts